Shellfish downs 3 siblings in Samar
MetadataShow full item record
A child is in critical condition, while his two siblings were recovering after they ate cockle shell (buo) in San Fernando, Basey, Samar. The three were treated at the Eastern Visayas Regional Medical Center here for paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP). They were identified as Joshua Macatalad, 9, his brother John Michael, 5, and sister Michelle, 8. The children were suffering from severe headache, vomiting and paralysis after eating cockle shell (buo) collected at the coastal area in their village last Feb. 17. John Michael remained in the intensive care unit (ICU), while his two siblings were recuperating in a ward.
Marticio, M. T. (2019, February 23). Shellfish downs 3 siblings in Samar. Manila Bulletin, p. 12.
Associated contentOnline version
- Manila Bulletin 
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Crisostomo, Sheila; Visperas, Eva; Laude, Jaime; Lagasca, Charlie; Ramirez, Cesar; Baliao, Nonong; Laude, Jaime; Macairan, Evelyn (The Philippine Star,
February 27, 2010, on page 3)The Department of Health (DOH) yesterday warned the public against shellfish products from provinces where red tide algae had started to bloom. Health Secretary Esperanza Cabral said selling and harvesting shellfish from ...
Sologastoa, Glenda (Panay News,
March 9, 2016, on page 2-19)Pilar Bay in Pilar; Capiz remains red tide-positive, according to the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR). On the other hand, Sapian Bay also in Capiz, Batan in Aklan and Gigantes Island in Carles, Iloilo were ...
Villanueva, Venus G. (The Daily Guardian,
December 9, 2015, on page 7)More than two weeks after the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) announced that the fish-rich Batan Bay and its tributaries in three coastal towns are affected by red tide, a desperate fisherman challenged ...