Pinoys now free to fish in Scarborough—Palace
MetadataShow full item record
Filipino fishermen are now be able to fish in the disputed Scarborough Shoal without being intercepted by Chinese Coast Guard vessels more than four years after the Chinese gained control of the area, Malacañang said Friday. In a television interview, Kabayan partylist Rep. Harry Roque, who was part of the President’s delegation to China during his state visit there, said the two governments had already reached an agreement on fishing rights in the disputed shoal, but have yet to sign the actual document. Roque said that China wanted the Philippines to agree to a formal declaration that Beijing was “allowing” Filipino fishermen to return to Scarborough Shoal, but Manila did not agree because the proposal would go against the ruling of an international tribunal that the common fishing ground did not belong to any one state.
Bencito, J. P., & Araneta, S. (2016, October 29). Pinoys now free to fish in Scarborough—Palace . Manila Standard, pp. A1, A2.
Associated contentOnline version
Disputes; Territorial waters; Fishers; Fishing rights; Fishery agreements; International law; Law of the sea; Fishing grounds; Conferences; International cooperation; Exclusive economic zone; Bilateral agreements; International agreements; United Nations Convention on Law of the Sea; Chinese Coast Guard; United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS); Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (Pamalakaya); Abella, Ernesto; Roque, Harry; Duterte, Rodrigo; Liu, Zhenmin; Xi, Jinping; Abe, Shinzo; Hicap, Fernando
- Manila Standard 
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Nilles, Giovanni; Mendez, Christina (The Philippine Star,
October 23, 2016, on page 1-16)Before leaving for China, Duterte announced on several occasions that the issue of fishing at Panatag Shoal would be among the issues he would discuss with his Chinese counterparts. He said he would “ask” the Chinese to ...
Lee-Brago, Pia (The Philippine Star,
July 27, 2017, on page 2)The Philippines will not lose even a “single inch” of territory to China if ever it proceeds with its joint exploration deal with the Asian giant, which is claiming almost the entire South China Sea. Foreign Affairs Secretary ...
Luci-Antienza, Charissa M. (Manila Bulletin,
May 22, 2017, on page 1-6)House leaders rallied behind the proposed “gentleman’s agreement” between China and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) yesterday to ensure a stable and peaceful West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). Eastern ...