PH helpless vs China-Yasay
MetadataShow full item record
The Philippines remains practically helpless in stopping Chinese militarization activities on disputed islands in the South China Sea, but is committed to a peaceful approach to the dispute, Foreign Secretary Perfecto Yasay said on Friday. Speaking to the press at Orchard Hotel here, Yasay said that a UN-backed arbitral tribunal had already ruled against China’s expansionist moves in July this year, even as enforcing the decision remains a problem. China had earlier rejected the ruling and called it a “farce.” He said the Philippines “will move forward into the future insofar as pursuing the enforcement of the decision of the arbitral tribunal on the basis of their findings and conclusions.”
Quismundo, T., Yap, D., & Andrade, J. I. (2016, December 17). PH helpless vs China-Yasay. Philippine Daily Inquirer, p. A4.
Associated contentOnline version
Military operations; International waters; Disputes; Navigation; Bilateral agreements; Rights; Artificial islands; Lighthouses; Radar; Satellite sensing; Legal aspects; International law; Law of the sea; Department of Foreign Affairs; Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS); Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative (AMTI); Yasay, Perfecto; Lorenzana, Delfin; Jose, Charles; Earnest, John; McCain, John
- Philippine Daily Inquirer 
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Lee-Brago, Pia (The Philippine Star,
July 27, 2017, on page 2)The Philippines will not lose even a “single inch” of territory to China if ever it proceeds with its joint exploration deal with the Asian giant, which is claiming almost the entire South China Sea. Foreign Affairs Secretary ...
del Rosario, Albert (Philippine Daily Inquirer,
July 12, 2017, on page A13)Today marks the first anniversary of the arbitral tribunal’s award on the case that the Philippines filed against China. This anniversary presents an opportunity for us to look closely at our country’s direction. Together, ...
Mabasa, Roy; Quismorio, Ellson A. (Manila Bulletin,
March 30, 2017, on page 1-6)Talks between the Philippines and China to thresh out the dispute over the South China Sea have been scheduled in May. Both the Philippine and Chinese governments confirmed the scheduled discussions as part of the efforts ...